Chocolate oatmeal is a quick and easy breakfast recipe that tastes like dessert!
Oatmeal is the perfect breakfast for anyone looking to start their day off on the right foot. It’s packed with a variety of essential vitamins and minerals, as well as soluble fiber.
There are many ways to enjoy oats—from raw and soaked, to cooked in different ways. If you are feeling a little adventurous, why not try something new? One of our favorite ways to enjoy oats is by making chocolate oatmeal! Packed with everything you love about chocolate bars and desserts, this oatmeal bowl will become your go-to recipe when you need some chocolate in your life. Let’s get started!
You can make this Chocolate Oatmeal Recipe with your kids on holiday! They will love it!
What You Need to Make This Recipe
- Oats: There are a few varieties of oatmeal available in grocery stores, including steel cut, rolled, quick, and instant oats. However, this recipes uses rolled oats. They’re packed with fiber, a healthy amount of plant-based protein, and several nutrients.
- Plant-based milk: Use any type of plant-based milk. I suggest almond milk, oat milk, or coconut milk.
- Water: The liquid portion of this recipe includes half plant-based milk and half water. Although some recipes will use all milk or all water, I have found the best results to be half of each ingredient.
- Cocoa powder: Cocoa powder is the key ingredient for the rich chocolate flavor. You can also use cacao powder instead.
- Maple syrup: If you have a sweet tooth, you may want to sweeten the oatmeal. I recommend using a natural sweetener, like real maple syrup.
- Vanilla: A dash of vanilla extract balances the cocoa. It adds a delicious flavor and aroma, too.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon contributes a nice warm flavor. It’s also an incredibly healthy spice.
- Salt: A pinch of salt makes all the difference. Don’t skip this one.
Instructions to make the Chocolate Oatmeal Recipe
First, combine all of the ingredients in a small pot. This includes rolled oats, cocoa powder, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, plant-based milk, and water.
Next, transfer the pot to a stove. Cook the oatmeal on medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy. This should take 6-8 minutes. Be sure to stir the oatmeal often in order to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.